Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I draw in 2D, but I paint in 3D....




Did you know I'm an avid painter? No...no..not on canvas......Statues and Model Kits...

I've been painting for over 18 years and I have my friend Len to thank. In 1995 I went to visit him at his apartment and I saw a Predator kit he painted and completely got hooked. He taught me a few things but it wasn't enough. I bought myself a Hulk plastic kit and decided to paint on my own. I was happy with the results but I wanted to learn more so I start to read everything related to modeling from Modeler's Resource to Amazing Figure Modeler to Pre-Historic Times. I even bought a VHS video called "Explorations in Painting" by Horizon. I talked to a lot of people in the industry, not only great painters but also wonderful people who were always more than willing to help you out at anytime. People like David Fisher, Tim Gore, Tom Gilliland, Anthony Mestas and many others.

Although I have still have a lot to learn, I was blessed to have won several awards which are proudly displayed beside my work station. I have painted many kits and statues for clients, friends and for myself and I sold many of my kits when things were tight. However, after 4 years of hiatus, this year I went back into painting and back at my workstation which I like to call "My Happy Place"....




A hobby is a great thing to have. I can sit at that table for hours and forget about everything else....no TV, no internet, just a total soul relaxation.............until the kids come over running and screaming while the dog barks at the door because my in-laws decided to stop by for a short visit that lasts 3 hours...

Life is not perfect and a hobby helps me get through it. Regardless if it is stamp collection, cooking, model kit painting or scrap-booking, I think everyone should find something to do just for yourself. It will make life much better and believe me when I say this......it will make you much happier....

Cheers

          



         

  

               

                                          



No comments:

Post a Comment