Thursday, November 3, 2022

Ah..... The Beautiful 80's.....

So....

On my iPhone I have a playlist where I have great 80's songs like Pink Floyd, Journey, Guns N' Roses, Queen and many others. It reminds me of my teenager years when I sang out loud not caring about anyone who will listen how bad I was at singing (and still am) drowning my sorrows about a girl or just having fun at the Disco....that's right kids... we called it Disco not "Nightclub" (Urgh... too grown up)


As I finished listening to "Total Eclipse of the Heart", a new dancing beat came up and Rick Astley started to sing (you know the song) and to my surprise, my 10 year old said "This is one of my favorite songs" and started to sing away, shying from doing the side to side moves in the car because of the restricted space. We sang together and laughed at how fun that was. I also found out that he liked Take on Me, Sweet Dreams, Footloose and Free Falling among others and then I realized that my older children too loved what I like to call "my music" and all of a sudden I felt sorry for them..... 

I'll explain...


I had a great childhood. In 1984 I was on my sweet 16 and going dancing and listening to endless music on those huge headphones was a thing that everyone of my generation loved. Little did we know that the songs we were listening to were going to be timeless. 

But not only that....


The 80's in my opinion also brought us classic movies that are part of the culture today like Ghostbusters, The Terminator, Gremlins, Batman, Predator, Aliens (way better than the first one in 1979), E.T., Robocop, Blade Runner, Back to the Future, Beetlejuice, Indiana Jones, Dirty Dancing (you know you liked it) and, of course, Roger Rabbit. 



I also collect statues and because I can't afford much, I try to stick with anything that reminds me of my childhood, mainly.... you've guessed it... 80's movies and I have 3 so far... Pumpkinhead, Predator and Legend Lord of Darkness. Hopefully Sigourney Weaver Ripley, Christopher Reeve Superman and Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman will be part of my collection sometime next year.





The reason I felt sorry for my kids is because I'm not sure if they will have something as awesome as I did as a kid. Will their kids be singing songs from the 2000's? Will the original movies today will be part of the culture 40 years from now? For some reason I don't see them singing Ariana Grande hits or dancing to Britney Spears Oops I did it again... or watching over and over movies like Avatar or Lord of the Rings. 


Now I'm not saying that there are not great songs and films in the past 15/20 years... I love Gorillaz and Usher and some movies like Harry Potter and Anchorman, but will they be as good 50 years from now? I do believe it is different with animated movies though. How to Train your Dragon, Shrek, The Simpsons Movie, Kung Fu Panda are among those who forever be part of everyone's lives for decades and decades to come. 


In the meantime, I will sing along with my son Never Gonna Give You Up and dance our troubles away, making sure that we always have a cotton viscose lining long trench coat in case we really get into it.


Cheers




No comments:

Post a Comment